Thursday 4 August 2011

Sweet Courgette Relish

I am sure that many of you are inundated with home grown veg at the moment! My Dad has gone to America for 5 weeks leaving behind his veg garden that is packed with all sorts of everything. A few days ago I made the 70 mile round trip to harvest them and came back with courgettes, runner beans, peas, french beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn, lettuce and carrots. So what to do with them? Lots will be eaten or frozen but courgettes are a tricky one as they don't freeze very well. I found a recipe for Sweet Courgette Relish which uses a nice lot!


So I chopped them up small, added onion and vinegar,


...and a few other spices, (a confession here; in the first batch I used a 1/2 teaspoon instead of a teaspoon measure by mistake so it's only mildly spiced)




And this was the result after a lot of boiling! It tastes delicious but has to mature for a month before eating now. I can see it disappearing very quickly with cheese or under cheese on toast and Jess has already bagged a jar to take to Uni!

1 comment:

Tinkertaylor said...

This looks yummy is it easy to make?