Tuesday 9 April 2013

Quilting Day

I had a completely self indulgent day today. I wasn't eating chocolate but the next best thing.....a whole day just sewing at Linda's house. A little while ago Burnice, Linda and I decided we wanted to make a quilt for a local charity. Burnice approached a local children's hospice and so our project began. We decided to make 2 quilts; one completely scrappy and another, better one, to raffle.
I will tell you about the scrappy one first....

We collected lots of our scraps together and sorted them into "white-based" colours that Burn cut into 2 1/2" squares which she then stitched into pairs. My job today was to sew them all together into blocks of 4...

...then to join 4 small squares into larger squares. I sat and sewed and Burn ironed like mad until finally we joined all the squares into strips and then the strips into the top. Meanwhile Linda was working on our "posh" quilt and providing refreshments! 

I did all the stitching by eye, no trimming and most of it is square.....enough! And we only got two squares the same next to each other once.
Ta dah!!

One quilt top, entirely made from a random assortment of our scraps ready for a fleece backing and a royal blue binding. I love the way it turned out and it has re-ignited my desire to patchwork.
Pop back tomorrow to see our "posh" quilt take shape....
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Burnice said...

Had a great time Tash. Look bloody miserable tho don't I!!!!! Thanks for the lift there and back...
Burnice xx

Linda said...

What a great day we had! Glad you enjoyed it too:) The scrappy quilt looks fab! X